Thursday, September 17, 2009

what a difference a snack makes

one of our constant battles is keeping weight on akaiya. she is a teeny tiny lil monster - and it's next to impossible to get/keep weight on her. or so we thought. akaiya got up to 30 pounds and then got sick a couple of months ago and went back down to 26. well, we've been struggling trying to get weight back on her. she seemed to hit a plateau at 28 pounds. i still don't see how it takes months to put on a pound, but 1 day to lose a couple...wish it were like that for me!

anyways...

several of akaiya's classmates need to have snack in the afternoon in addition to the morning snack so her teacher asked if i minded if kaiya had an afternoon snack. i said, "sure if you can get her to eat it." and i was sure that there was no way my kiddo was going to eat another snack... and i was wrong.

this past week several family members have commented on akaiya's weight. and i always drag my feet on getting out the scale because it never tells me what i want to hear... well, tonight we had a pleasant surprise. akaiya weighed in at a whopping 31 pounds, and it may actually be more b/c the scale we use generally is off about 2 pounds compared to the doctor's office scale. the last time she was weighed was about a month ago, and she was 28 lbs, so this is a pretty big jump for her.

i'm really happy that she's finally putting on some weight, but there definitely is part of me that worries about her getting really big. right now i can still carry her around and not hurt myself too badly. mama is definitely going to have to start getting into shape!

3 comments:

connie said...

By the way; she is beautiful. I know what you mean about being proud of her growth, and there being some ambivalence, since a light baby is easier to lift. I keep telling Mallorie it's fine, just fine, that she stays this size. My hope is that she grows really slowly like Annabel, because she's already hard on the back to carry her for any long distance.

Cathy said...

Ok, let me chime in on this one. Here I am moaning about Annabel being her 24 lbs. and being heavy!
akaiya, way to go with your eating and your weight. We will have to change your nickname from Princess to Chunky Monkey!

The Snell Family said...

Wow, Miss Arianna is 32 lbs and only 3, I sure hope she doesn't keep her trend up, I already have a hard time lifting her. I hope she just decides to get longer not chunckier.
It is good to see pics of Kaiya, I missed not being able to go to conference this year.
Hugs!
Julianna