Wednesday, June 23, 2010

home home home

we were finally able to go home on monday. the docs released us early in the morning, but we had to wait until 7pm to leave b/c home health care had to be set up. it was such torture knowing we were medically okay and ready to go, and all we were waiting for was a pump to be delivered. a little part of me was wondering why the hospital waited until the day we were being released to set this up. they knew we were going to need a pump, why not get things going before release. i was especially cranky when i found out that the social worker hadn't even ordered anything until 5pm, and that's when she learned about the 8 hour turn around...yikes. luckily my insurance company acted faster than they thought, and we got the pump at 6:30. it's a kangaroo joey, and so far i like it. it's small and pretty easy to use. kaiya has been such a trouper. she's more awake, more alert, just more "there" than she has been in a LONG time. she thinks everything is hilarious, and just sits around with a sly little smile on her face. she's actually making me regret not getting the g-tube sooner. has she been a little out of it b/c she was always a bit undernourished or dehydrated? she was gaining weight...but maybe she just wasn't getting the right kind of nutrients? i don't know, and will probably drive myself crazy thinking about it. we are using the tube for supplemental feeds. she isn't taking too much by mouth just yet, but she's working her way back up. i actually did my first gravity feed today while she was sleeping. how convenient is that? she gets to rest, and i can still give her the calories she needs.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Yay!!!! I am so glad Akaiya is home and doing well! Will she be able to come to summer school on Monday? I am looking forward to seeing her!

Kelly said...

we have a couple of follow up doctor appointments on monday so i have not decided if i'm going to send her to school and then pick her up early, or if i'm going to just send her the next day...she will be happy to see her friends again though i'm sure! you'll be surprised at how straight she is sitting up b/c her little tummy is still sore. and how nosy she is! it's really wild what a difference this has all made.

Amanda said...

I can't wait to see these great changes! Whatever works for you is fine. If Monday is too craqzy, just send her on Tuesday. If you have time to stop in and talk to me and Nurse Jill about her new meds and any feedings that need to be done at school, that would be great, otherwise you can give me a call or write a note. I am so happy to hear she is doing well! I am sure it has been a rough couple of weeks for you both, but it certainly sounds like things are looking up! I'll talk to you soon...call if you need anything!

Cathy said...

Kelly,
What are you feeding Akaiya in her feeding tube. Since they are so close to the same age I was wondering what they gave you or recommended. If you ahve my email just let me know plzzzzz!
So glad she is getting better.