Wednesday, June 3, 2009

am i being too sensitive

the other day i had an interaction that left me feeling slightly ticked off. i was standing at the end of the driveway waiting for akaiya's bus to pull up and a neighbor was walking out of her house to get her mail. she said hi and asked me how akaiya liked school. i told her she loved it and figured that was that. well she goes on to say "oh i'm sure she does. it's so wonderful that they have something like that for her, the poor thing." and i'm not one to be easily offended - trust me - i have very thick skin. but for some reason this just put me on edge. and i still haven't been able to forget it. the poor thing? really?!? is that what she is? i think kaiya has a very full life. she has a large family that adores her. she has teachers and therapists that dote on her every day. she has made friends in her class (and even a boyfriend...lol). everywhere we go people are drawn to her and she makes them smile. how can you look at someone like that and say "the poor thing" ? i don't ever look at kaiya and pity her - quite the opposite. this kid is living the life! she has everyone wrapped around her little finger willing to entertain her.

instead i pity the next-door neighbor, for not having an open enough mind to see that my daughter is a person too.

2 comments:

Yin May said...

oh do I just go arrgh when people say "poor thing"! know exactly what you mean. And those people who come all the way up and stare and stare at Vera like she's some alien creature! buzz off!

Cathy said...

This is not very nice for me to say, but your neighbor is the "poor thing." She doesn't know what she is missing with all the joy these lil one give out.
Maybe she isn't such a happy mommy after all.
I know the joy that Akayia possess. I have been up close and personal and we can wait to see her every year. Give her hugs and kisses and I hope you can let it go.